8 October 2017

WEEK 1: EXPLORING THE CITY AND LIVING ON MY OWN


Although it hasn't been a week since I've arrived here (on Monday it's the official “birthday”), I was feeling like writing one post, so here I am, listening to German music on the background and more than ready to spend a few hours writing (these posts take ages to write, because I always end up writing too much and I need to choose what to leave and what to delete).

I've studied abroad before, but this is different. The experience I had four years ago when I went to Ireland was all about living with a family, going to school, getting home and doing my homework, going swimming after class... Now I live in a shared flat and I'm the only one who takes care of myself. It's cooler than I thought because I get along with my flatmates and we're like a little family. My main worries this past week have been buying towels, dusting clothes and a sponge for the shower. I don’t have much experience when it comes to living alone, because it has only been a week, however, I’ve realised that there are a lot of things that my mum used to do back home that now I need to do myself.

Since I haven't started going to university yet, I've had a lot of time for myself. I'm trying to stick to the German timetable, which means having lunch at 12 and dinner at 18 (the latest). I’'s a bit hard because I’m hungry all the time and it hasn’t been as easy as I thought, but I’m sure that once I get into my routine the transition will be smoother. I think I’ve managed to do a lot of things these days, such as visiting the city centre, discover some supermarkets, reading, drinking a lot of tea... Recently I have also started listening to some German music my flatmate recommended me and I love all the artists she listens to, therefore most of the time we have the doors of our rooms opened, this way we can all hear the music. I appreciate that there is such a good relationship between us. I’ve said that already, right?

I love Germany so far, there are a lot of fun facts I would like to share, but I forgot most of them. Something I've noticed (and I really appreciate it) is that there is a huge variety of vegan and vegetarian food in the supermarket. Lately I’ve been trying to follow a vegetarian diet and this has helped a lot, plus I also enjoy vegan food, so that’s a win win. I’m surprised because at first, I thought the prices would be a lot higher than in Spain, but it turns out they aren’t. Even though I haven’t been shopping enough to confirm it a hundred percent, I think they are quite the same as back home which is good! My flatmates told me that the prices are way higher in the south of Germany, but since we’re living in the north, that doesn’t apply to us.

I’ve gone out of the flat and walked somewhere every day since I've arrived. I still don’t have the transport card that my university provides me to freely access all the public transport, so for the moment I had to rely on my legs. My sense of direction is a mess and I get lost very easily, although I must say I’m extremely proud of myself because I’ve learned how to go from my home to the main square without getting lost and I also know the way to my university. I got a map of the city that I haven’t used that much because I decided to stick it onto my wall for decoration purposes, so Google Maps has been my saviour.

This morning I went out and took some proper pictures with my camera. It was a bit cloudy in the morning, but around midday the sun showed up and it really put me in a great mood. Sometimes I forget how nice it is to see the sun shine, I guess it’s because I’m lucky enough to come from a country where we have sunny days almost all year around. Tomorrow I’m starting the introductory days and I couldn’t be more excited! I can’t wait to meet the other Erasmus students and start making some friends.

1 comment:

  1. Hola!
    M'alegro molt que estiguis vivint aquesta experiencia! Viure sola pot ser molt complicat si mai abans ho has fet, i més si estas en un altre país! Espero que l'estada et sigui molt bona, ja t'aniré llegint! ^^

    ReplyDelete